27 June 2007

The Omnipresence of U.S. Hip Hop

Just when I thought I had encountered a spot on the planet where traditional cultural beliefs are not influenced by American culture, I went to a Malwian house party and Snoop, Kayne West, and The Game were bumping from the stereo, everyone knew all the words, and we spent the next 5 hours dances to alternating Malawian, South African, and U.S. hip hop.
I’m not sure why I was expecting something else. Perhaps because I was in Mchinji district, which is pretty rural (the Bradt guide doesn’t even mention the town), or perhaps it was because all of the talk of witchcraft (witchcraft and U.S. hip hop coexisting?!). Maybe I was in the mindset that most rural Malawians had little to no experience with the U.S., especially after hearing Alicia (a Jefferson medical student here working in the Mchinji district hospital) explain that she was the new show in town for getting kids on the peds ward to open their mouths for an exam: have a mzungu be the first thing a baby sees when mom unwraps her chitenje and you have an instant wail of fear and a clear view all the way to the vocal cords.

So to realize the level that U.S. hip hop culture has infiltrated the youth of rural Malawi was a bit of a surprise. The music is everywhere, the videos are available via Botswana and South African TV channels that have MTV, and the youth (and the growing Malawian hip hop industry) idolize the American hip hop artists – their dress, mannerisms, hand gestures, and the lifestyles on the videos. I had a typical “SUVs are the spawn of Satan” conversation with one young man who earnestly believes that Malawi needs to get control of its growing populations of vehicles the corresponding air pollution, and use of gasoline but who wants more than anything a Cadillac Escalade like he sees in the videos. I have to admit I was a little crestfallen with the realization that the U.S. hip hop culture was so omnipresent all over the globe.
Now we all know I have nothing against hip hop – the 90’s were my teen years, De La Soul, Tribe Called Quest, Black Sheep, etc. were in constant rotation and I have a lot of favorite current underground artists. I vividly recall getting trouble with Sister Jane when our pom pom squad wanted to use some songs that were “not appropriate” for a Catholic high school. But wasn’t there somewhere on the planet where bling doesn’t rule?

Thankfully I was saved by the people of Kayesa yesterday. During the process of many of us leaving Kayesa for Lilongwe, Mrs. Anderson and her family and staff got together to sign traditional songs – it was a privilege:
TECHNICAL DIFFICULTIES - LINKS COMING SOON
Watch all 4 - you won't be sorry.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Rollin down the street smokin' endo, sippin on gin and juice." Great. Our number one cultural export is hip-hop. I guess it's not that disheartening considering W is out there trying to make "freedom" our greatest deliverable asset.